MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE WINNIE THE POOH SOCIETY of PEMBROKE COLLEGE CAMBRIDGE (9/3/96)
- Jon starts taking minutes ten minutes into the meeting when it is discovered that noone else is.
- Present: the Lady Foundress Helen Masters, President Tor, Jon, Tim, Tapani, Huw, Sarah, Craig, and an associate of Tor's who is identified only as 'Rebecca'.
- Hunny-and-condensed-milk sandwiches, tea, and chocolate biscuits have been provided in accordance with the constitution we don't have.
- The reading is "In which Pooh goes hunting and almost discovers a Woozel", read by Helen. We're halfway through, Tor has only said "Woof" twice, and Helen's going to use Piglet's logic in her Lucretius essay. Now read on...
- Huw departs to make himself look beautiful: a number of comments are made.
- Sarah notices that Tapani has had his hair cut: Tapani gets qyite stroppy about this, and he's already upbraided me for quoting the old constitution, and Helen for not being nice enough about the hair; what an angry young man.
- Tor wants a book with an illustration of a bisected human body in it: it's 'for her sister'. Sarah can only offer one of the brain.
- Helen inquires after Sarah's plasticine brain. Well that explains a few things...
- Daisy arrives!
- I have a debate with Tapani over the proper use of red ink in typescript.
- Tim has discovered a £20 pound note that he knows nothing about: gosh.
- 'Rebecca' leaves amid multiple goodbyes.
- The merits of having flowers at WtPSoc. meetings are discussed: Helen and Tor promise to leave flowers in each others' pigeon-holes in future.
- Tim is elected president by unanimous acclamation.
- Competition for the post of Secretary, me vs. Tapani. Tapani claims Angela thought he'd be good. I point out that I can make tea and type, and generally waffle. We go outside and climb to the top of Pembroke Street, there being no suitably large courtyards: Tim takes over the minutes.
- I take over again on my returns before Tim has actually minuted anything. Apparently the rules have been changed: I am to be Secretary, and Tapani gets Foreign Secretary and Captain of Poohsticks.
- Tapani displays his linguistic virtuosity which secured him the Post. Apparently the Jawas or whatever in Star Wars spoke Swahili.
- Varsity Poohsticks is discussed: Waterloo Bridge and the 'real' Poohsticks bridge are floated as venues, although the first will require binoculars to see the sticks.
- Craig is voted Treasurer totally without his consent: but he concedes.
- Daisy has now left.
- An Expotition to the real Hundred-Acre Wood to play Poohsticks and have a picnic is proposed by Tor.
- Tapani starts translating Winnie-the-pooh into Finnish for us.
- Jon apologises for eating almost all the food, but carries on anyway.
- Tim wants to close the meeting because we're out of Hunny Sandwiches.
- Angela's death is to be organised: we changed the meeting time specially for her and she still hasn't turned up.
- Tor is appointed 'Christopher James Robin' until further notice.
- Tim departs.
- Tapani apparently wants to be Academic Affairs Officer: Tor just wants to be Affairs Officer.
- The possibility of getting a Society hovercraft is discussed: Jon points out that you can make one out of a paper cup, one of those polystyrene pallets you get chicken on and sellotape. Apparently Sarah once saw a Blue Peter programme about hovercraft.
- Tapani announces a 'semi-serious point': are we or are we not to have a constitution? The general feeling is that Helen's rework of the old one will do if we add the clause forbidding Sarah to read 'Lines & Squares'.
- The normal debate about how many times Sarah's read it this term ensues.
- Helen starts doing the washing-up: the meeting is declared closed by a number votes that noone bothered to count.
Return To Lent 1996
©The Pembroke College Winnie-The-Pooh Society 1996.
Disclaimer: The views given on this page are those of the Pembroke College Winnie-The-Pooh Society and do not necessarily correspond to those of Pembroke College